Friday, September 9, 2011

Hope That Doesn't Disappoint.

I read an article this morning (click here) about an astronaut who was in the space station during the 9/11 attacks on New York City. He spoke about looking down seeing smoke billowing into space. He says he knew something was wrong, but was unsure of what, until a little later when he was informed of what had happened. He said, "The most overwhelming feeling being where I am is one of isolation, the feeling that I should be there with all of you, dealing with this, helping in some way, is overwhelming."
His thoughts on being isolated during that experience made me do some thinking. How would I have felt if I had been in the space station when I learned about what was happening? What if I had had no one to share my hurt, fear, and sadness with? How many people went through that tragedy with no one else around to support them? How many people have hard times and tragic situations and are unable to share their fears with anyone? I can't imagine.
I occassionally have days when I feel like I have no one to turn to, but it's in those time I am reminded that I am never alone. My God is always there. His word says that He will never leave me nor forsake me. (Deuteronomy 31:6) This promise from scripture gives hope for all the weary.
I have been thinking alot about Hope lately. Hope that does not disappoint. I have not experienced much disappointment in life, but I can tell you the little I have experienced was really painful. The last time I experienced severe disappointment left me down for a good couple of months. I tried to be consoled by friends and my mom, but the only true consolation came from my time with my God. It was in that low point in my life that I experienced God in an amazing way, when I truly understood Hope for the first time.
People place their hopes and dreams on any number of things. Children long for good grades and good abilities to make their parents/teachers/coaches love them. Girls long for beauty so they will be loved. Guys hope for strength to impress people. Women hope for a husband to fulfill their future. Men hope for money to provide for their families. People long for approval and acceptance from others. The list can go on and on. Those hopes and longings may provide a temporary fix for an emptiness in their lives but, eventually those grades, that beauty, strength, money, husband, family, or approval will disappoint. Eventually it will not be enough. Eventually we begin to look to be fulfilled by something or someone else. We are never fulfilled.

The only Hope that will never disappoint, the only Hope that will never fail is Jesus Christ. His sacrfice, His love, His will are perfect. 1 Timothy 4: 8 - 10 says, "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. 9 This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance. 10 That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe."
Our hope is not in the things of this world. They won't last. The only hope we have is in Christ Jesus. Hope that His promises are true, hope that doesn't disappoint. Because of this Hope, despite the circumstance, I am able to live my life and serve others. Because of this Hope, this relationship with Christ, I am never alone. I may feel lonely, I may feel isolated, but even in those instances I always have Hope.
I feel sorry for those without this Hope. I am sad for those who feel isolated and alone. They don't have to be. You don't have to be.








No comments: